Stay at Home Solutions
Maintain Your Independence

How CAN I afford Home Modifications?

Unsure if you have the money to pay for making changes at home? Keep reading for financial resources for home modifications in Kansas and Missouri.

Learn about financial resources in MO and KS for home modifications:


Medicare does not cover home modifications. Medicare part B will pay 80% of the cost to rent equipment like wheelchairs and hospital beds.

Medicare Advantage Plans are currently seeking approval from CMS to pay for home and bathroom safety devices like grab bars in 2019.



If you are a home owner, renter, or landlord with a low to moderate income, you can request home repairs or simple modifications through your area agency on aging, which is financed by the Housing and Urban Development HOME Program and Community Development Block Grants. In Kansas City, MO, click HERE to request help to fix repairs and install accessible features.


For very low income home owners in rural areas, please click here to learn about the Single Family Housing Repair Loan and Grants. This is associated with Section 504 Home Repair Program.

For Kansas organizations and developers to create affordable housing, click here.

1) Secured loans: Use your savings as collateral for a low interest loan that builds credit.

2) Certificate deposit (CD) secured loans: Use your CD(s) as collateral for a low interest loan with variable rates and terms.

3) Personal loan: No need for collateral. This type of loan often has a fixed rate. Call your financial institution to learn the terms. 

4) Home equity line of credit: Similar to a revolving line of credit, you use these funds when you need them. This is good if you have ongoing home modification projects.

5) Home equity loan: This type of loan is good for a one time home modification project. It typically has a fixed rate.

6) The Federal Housing Administration’s (FHA) Section 203(k): Helps you buy a home or remodel an existing home.For less extensive remodeling or improvements, the FHA also has a Streamlined 203(k) Mortgage program. Another option from the FHA is the Title 1 Home Improvement Loan program, which you can combine with a 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage.

7) The United States Department of Agriculture and Rural Development offer loan programs for low to moderate income home owners and landlords.

8) K-LOAN:

Phone:  620-421-6554, Toll-Free: 1-866-465-2826

K-Loan is an alternative finance program offered through Assistive Technology for Kansans (ATK), the statewide assistive technology program. K-Loan was established and is directed by persons with disabilities. It is a consumer-run program designed to provide persons with disabilities and their families with access to financial resources toward acquiring assistive technology through education, saving and borrowing.

The low interest loans are designed to help individuals obtain a variety of equipment that can be used at home, school or on the job. Funds can be used to help with the purchase of assistive technology equipment ranging from hearing aids to mobility devices. Personnel can help identify alternate funding sources.

This loan has an interest rate of 5.5% with terms up to 60 months and 70 months for a vehicle. The loan maximums are as follows:  Adapted vehicles - $40,000, hearing aids - $6,000, home modification - $10,000, other equipment - $3,500, mobility scooters - $5,000.

Credit check and proof of income are required for this application. Only automatic denial is bankruptcy within the past 4 years.

Fill out this application form then e-mail, fax, or mail it to K-Loan. Application response time is 3 working days.

Required Documentation:

  • Driver’s License

  • SS Number

  • Proof of Income

  • Bank statements

  • Quotes from equipment provider on cost of equipment

  • Current monthly expenses

Jeanette Graue is the Alternative Finance Manager and can be contacted by email at, or phone 620-421-6554 or Toll-Free: 1-866-465-2826.


Phone: 816-655-6702 or 1-800-647-8557

Show Me Loans offers low-interest loans to Missourians with a disability. You can apply for a loan for the following:

  1. The General Loan enables Missourians an option to buy assistive technology equipment and devices, home access improvements or vehicle access modifications for persons with disabilities in Missouri. This includes modifications to your vehicle.

  2. The Workability Loan is for the purchase of equipment needed by someone with a disability to work from home or a remote site away from an office. Eligible equipment includes, but are not limited to: computers, printers and related peripherals, software, fax machines and scanners, office machines, tools, office furniture, telecommunication devices, home modifications needed to create an accessible home office, assistive technology that will enable an individual with a disability to work more independently or productively (Example: hearing aids), maintenance agreements and extended warranties for the equipment, etc.

In most cases, the minimum loan amount is $500 and the maximum is $15,000. If you are seeking financing for vehicle modifications, the maximum loan amount is $20,000.

A credit check and income verification are part of the application process. If there are credit issues, MAT invites you to contact them at 800-647-8557.

Fill out this application. Questions? Contact Eileen at 816-655-6702 or 1-800-647-8557 or email at

Required Documentation:

  • Documentation for everyone on the loan that shows monthly or annual income.

  • Documentation that explains the diagnosis of the disability for the person needing the assistive technology.

  • A document that shows what you need to buy, what it costs and the place you will buy it from.

  • A copy of a state identification card for everyone on the loan.


Missouri Residential Dwelling Accessibility Tax Credit. This tax credit is for people with disabilities who have an income of $30,000 or less a year. You can be credited up to $2,500 for modifying your entryway (i.e. garage, front door, back door, side door) to make it easier to enter and exit your home. 

Kansas Tax Credit: Personal residences located in Kansas are covered. A percentage of the cost of the home modifications, based on adjusted gross income, may be allowed as a credit or a limit of $9,000, whichever is less. The tax credit cannot exceed the taxpayer's income tax liability.

Tax Credit

There are two main types of long-term care insurance:

1) Stand-alone policy: Covers the expenses that aren’t taken care of by either Medicare or Medicaid. This includes assisted living, nursing homes, and at-home care. If you don’t end up needing care, you don’t get any benefits from the insurance.

2) Life insurance with an accelerated death benefit rider : Allows you to receive benefits if you end up needing care while any unused benefits will be paid to your beneficiaries. This type of policy is more flexible but tends to have higher premiums.

Long Term Care Insurance

You can borrow an amount of money from your life insurance policy to pay for home modifications. Click HERE to read about the good and bad from borrowing from your life insurance policy.

Life Insurance Loans

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant:  SAH grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities live independently in a barrier-free environment. SAH grants can be used in one of the following ways:

  • Construct a specially adapted home on land to be acquired

  • Build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing

  • Remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing

  • Apply the grant against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of an adapted home already acquired without the assistance of a VA grant

Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant:  SHA grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities adapt or purchase a home to accommodate the disability. You can use SHA grants in one of the following ways:

  • Adapt an existing home the Veteran or a family member already owns in which the Veteran lives

  • Adapt a home the Veteran or family member intends to purchase in which the Veteran will live

  • Help a Veteran purchase a home already adapted in which the Veteran will live

Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) Grant:  A temporary grant may be available to SAH/SHA eligible Veterans and Service members who are or will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member.

  • The TRA grant will not be deducted from the total grant funds available to a Veteran or Service member

  • The TRA grant will be deducted from one of the three usages available to the Veteran or Service member

  • The maximum amount available to adapt a family member's home for the SAH grant is $35,593 and for the SHA grant is $6,355


Your church may offer free equipment, such as portable wheelchair ramps, canes, walkers, toilet risers, shower chairs, and more!

Know someone who had a joint replacement? Ask them if they are still using their equipment.

Search garage sales, thrift stores, Facebook Swap n’ Shop, or Craigslist for gently used equipment!

Check out low cost equipment right here in Kansas City!

Low Cost or Free Equipment

1) Rebuilding Together’s Safe at Home program provides safety modifications for homeowners who want to improve accessibility, reduce falls, and increase independence in the home. Safe at Home projects are completed throughout the year with a fee for service based on a client’s individual financial ability utilizing a standardized sliding co-pay scale.

Examples of safety modifications include tub transfer benches, handrails, and grab bars.

If you’re in Clay and Platte Counties, click HERE for more information.

If you’re in Shawnee, KS, click HERE for more information.

2) Metro Lutheran Ministry Minor Home Repair provides safety and security repair services to help low-income seniors and disabled individuals live safely in their own home and maintain their independence. Repairs are made by a team of skilled volunteers and materials are purchased with donations

Examples of minor home repairs include:

  • Wheelchair ramps

  • Installation of safety lights, locks, railings, grab bars, smoke detectors

  • Repair of broken steps, doors, floors or retaining walls

  • Basic weatherization

 3) The Minor Home Repair program serves homeowners in areas of Kansas City, Missouri (south of the river) and areas of Kansas City, Kansas. 

Those wishing to receive Minor Home Repair services must: 

A. Own the home, 

B. Have a household income of 150% of the Federal Poverty Line or below,

C. Be elderly and/or disabled. 

4) Shepherd’s Center of Kansas City, KS completes small home repairs like replacing a sink faucet or the furnace filter.

5) Habitat for Humanity rehabilitates houses for families in need for Missouri and Kansas residents.

6) Short-Term Financial Assistance from the Masonic Home of Missouri provides simple home modifications, like installing grab bars, or equipment.

Low Cost or Free Community Resources

Abledata gives unbiased, comprehensive information on products, solutions, and resources to improve productivity and ease life’s tasks.

Additional Resources